Introduction – What If The Information On A DBS Certificate Is Incorrect?
Once you have received your DBS Certificate, you may feel that information given is wrong or incorrect. Our article aims to help you understand the next steps and what you can do to challenge this information.
What If The Information On A DBS Certificate Is Incorrect? – Reviewing Your DBS Certificate
If you find irrelevant information contained on your DBS certificate, there are steps you can take to address the issue. The DBS provides an opportunity for individuals to challenge the information disclosed on their certificate. Common reasons for challenging include:
- Inaccurate Information: If the certificate contains inaccuracies or includes details about another person.
- Irrelevant Information: If the disclosed information is not relevant to the job applied for.
What If The Information On A DBS Certificate Is Incorrect? – Errors In Application.
What If The Information On A DBS Certificate Is Incorrect? – Initiating a DBS Certificate Dispute
To challenge the information in your DBS certificate, you need to complete a DBS certificate dispute form. This form can be downloaded from the UK government website, and it includes guidance to assist you in completing it accurately.
Remember to submit the dispute form to the DBS within three months of the date on your DBS certificate. Once received, the DBS will forward your dispute to the relevant police force for reconsideration.
What If The Information On A DBS Certificate Is Incorrect? – What Happens Next?
After initiating a DBS review, several outcomes may occur:
- Correction of Information: If the police decide to remove or amend the disclosed information, the DBS will issue a replacement certificate reflecting the changes.
- Referral to the Independent Monitor: If the police decide not to alter the information, the DBS will refer your dispute to the Independent Monitor for further investigation.
- Independent Monitor’s Decision: If the Independent Monitor agrees with your concerns, they will request the DBS to issue a revised certificate with the irrelevant information removed.
- Legal Recourse: If the Independent Monitor does not support your dispute, you may have the option to take the matter to court. Seeking advice from a solicitor is advisable, and The Law Society offers a directory of solicitors who can provide legal support.
What If The Information On A DBS Certificate Is Incorrect? – Conclusion
In conclusion, if you find inaccuracies on your DBS certificate, it’s essential to take prompt action.
By completing the DBS certificate dispute form within three months of receiving your certificate, you trigger a process that can lead to corrections or amendments by the police. If the dispute persists, the Independent Monitor becomes involved, ensuring a fair and thorough investigation.
Related Content – What If The Information On A DBS Certificate Is Incorrect?
About The Author
Kellie is our in-house legal expert when it comes to DBS checks. With a background in the legal sector, she has become a recognised authority in this area.